It is saddening that Mecklenburg County is receiving local, state and national coverage about the conflict of interest surrounding the actions of some individuals on the ReVenture Advisory Council and Waste Management Advisory Board.
- Controversy Stalls ‘ReVenture’ Plan to Make Electricity From Trash (Feb 11) http://www.wfae.org/wfae/1_87_316.cfm?action=display&id=6933
- ReVenture conflicts called into question (Feb 11) http://www.mountainislandweekly.com/news/2011/02/reventure-conflicts-called-into-question/
- Waste Board Members Have Ties To Reventure (Feb 10)
- Board’s ties to ReVenture under review | WOPULAR (Feb 10)
- Waste Board Members Have Ties To ReVenture (Feb 9) http://www.wfae.org/wfae/1_87_316.cfm?action=display&id=6928
- Conflict-of-interest questions raised (Feb 8) http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/02/08/2046215/conflict-of-interest-questions.html
- UPI: Mecklenburg County officials hear Reventure concerns (Feb 8) http://www.upi.com/Top_News/Local/2011/02/08/Mecklenburg-County-officials-hear-Reventure-concerns/24-62bf291ff6
- Raleigh News and Observer: Conflict-of-interest questions raised (Feb 8) http://www.newsobserver.com/2011/02/08/976187_conflict-of-interest-questions.html
- Greensboro News: Conflict-of-interest questions raised (Feb 8) http://greensboro-nc.com/news/article/boards-ties-to-reventure-under-review
- Mecklenburg County officials hear ReVenture concerns (Feb 8) http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/going_green/2011/02/mecklenburg-county-officials-hear.html
- Commissioners hear concerns on proposed energy complex (Feb 8) http://www.wcnc.com/news/local/County-Commission-Hears-About-Proposed-River-Power-Plant-115597359.html
Having observed much of the process, I was amazed at the dedication, hard work and commitment by many of these individuals that volunteered to serve their community on the WMAB and RAC. Their value should not be diminished in any way and should serve as an example for us all. The Central Piedmont Sierra Club applauds these citizens for their service.
It is extremely unfortunate that a few individuals with a conflict of interest were allowed to participate in violation of the County policy (see below). It never should have happened. We need to deal with this issue, make sure that it doesn’t happen ever again, and move on.
Call, write or email your elected officials and ask that they address this and make sure it can’t be repeated on any other Board, Commission, or Council. Ask your friends and neighbors to do the same.